It took me forever to understand why a nation full of people would endorse something as frozen as smoothie bowls in the middle of January, one of the coldest months of the year. All I wanted to eat were stodgy bakes and warming stews. Unfortunately, like many, I had indulged in a Christmas binge when I went home to India. As a result, my body was craving something clean and healthy. So out came the blender and this vegan smoothie bowl happened. And I did not regret it.
I made it more liquid than frozen and topped it with sweet and crunchy sunflower seeds and almonds. To make it vegan, I made it with coconut milk which gave it a tropical twist – an ode to warmer weather.
If you like your smoothie bowls thicker, like soft serve, reduce the coconut milk / liquid content by half. It will take a while for your frozen ingredients to come together in the blender, but it will eventually happen.
Needless to say, these smoothie bowls can be made with endless variations of fruit, liquid and toppings (see notes below). Just remember to have fun 🙂 If you do make them, don’t forget to tag your pictures #pantryhalffull so I can drool at all the yumminess!
- 200 g bananas, peeled, sliced and frozen
- 50 g blueberries, frozen
- a tiny bit of vanilla bean paste (optional)
- 200 ml coconut milk (see notes)
- grated coconut
- sunflower seeds
- 1 ripe banana, sliced
- Place the frozen fruits and vanilla (if using) in a blender with the coconut milk.
- Blend everything together on low until combined. This step will take some time and you may need to scrape down the sides from time to time.
- Pour the smoothie in a bowl and decorate with the grated coconut, sunflower seeds, banana slices and almonds.
- Serve immediately.
- The quantity of liquid depends on how thick you like your smoothie. I used 200 ml coconut milk for a smooth and silky texture. Feel free to use less if you're after a thicker, soft serve texture.
- Use any frozen fruits you like instead of the blueberries. Mangoes, pineapple, kiwi, and peach all work really well.
- Use any toppings you like such as chia seeds, granola, pecans, ect.